Catholic Relief Services (CRS) recognizes the critical role of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, or MEAL, systems in program quality and impact. To respond to stakeholder information needs and inform strategic program design and adaptive management, quality MEAL systems collect reliable and timely data. To optimize their value, CRS believes that MEAL systems must be grounded in project design; built by MEAL and program staff with participation from partner organizations and key stakeholders; and updated during implementation as activities progress and information needs evolve. CRS’ SMILER+ is a participatory process that enables teams to develop MEAL systems that are responsive to context and contribute to adaptive program management.
- SMILER+ workshop participants should use the SMILER+ Guide to become familiar with each SMILER+ component and its role in the overall MEAL system.
- Project teams should refer to the SMILER+ workshop planning checklist to plan and prepare for successful SMILER+ workshops.
- The SMILER+ Workshop Facilitation Manual supports a facilitator to plan and run the SMILER+ workshop.
- SMILER+ facilitators can use facilitation materials and templates to create workshop agendas and session plans appropriate to a range of project contexts.
- MEAL practitioners can benefit from including SMILER+ in their approach to MEAL system development and integrating SMILER+ components into their organization’s toolkit.
- Please see the SMILER+ MEAL System Development Process Map